Thursday, June 12, 2008

I am a self confessed plagiarist.

Recently I read some articles of my friends and realized that reading and writing should be incoherent and in different "class" as they can very easily affect each other and thereby can be named "inspirations" very aptly.

But the simple fallacy which I would like to point with a reason goes as below:

let us start with the meaning of education . The very first alphabet , the very first arithmetical expression one learns , he is expected to remember and apply the same.
For this case in question we follow the approach of : see and learn , and we are not ideally plagiarizing the work of the person who made an alphabet/a arithmetical rule. To consider this - "open sourcing" of the english alphabet , can be called a very shrewd and selfish gesture of the originators, as they knew that, in the case of the alphabet not being widely used , no further articles/journos or communication thereon will sustain and thereby call for the downfall of the language and them too with it.

So , now they tell me to learn my alphabets and the usage of the same and they teach me a lot of stuff related to that and I merrily go about learning the stuff until one day my learning's become my inspirations and I am termed a plagiarist, a person taking inspirations from other songs/write ups/articles etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twist 1 : Analogy of music

I can only be taught how to play the instrument and the beats. A composition should ideally originate from me , unabridged and unheard of. Here lies my creativity.

Twist 2: Analogy of Sorts

I learn the tricks of kung fu but winning a bout is my creativity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The definition of "creativity" straight from the horse's mouth :

Creativity is the ability to think up and design new inventions, produce works of art, solve problems in new ways, or develop an idea based on an original, novel, or unconventional approach.

Then I should stop reading because if I read then only I get ideas to write some things which would seem impossible if I would not have been well read.So here comes the catch and the million dollar answer :

You have to be well read to stop plagiarising: Period ; the real reason is if you are well read then you will know what else has already been writtenand what has still not been covered in the public and then select some topic from there and start writings as you will by default not be plagiarising and more importantly be the first one to touch upon the left upon topic.

Meaning : If I do not read a lot I might have a 50-50 chance of plagiarising from one such obscure writer out there among million others whose work I will have essentially have "forgotten" to mention on the very first page of my book : as insipered from XXXX.


I rest my stand.




No comments:

About Me

My photo
Working in SOA space circa 2007. Having implementation experience involving Oracle SOA Suite 10 and 11g. Catch more of this in the posts.